Wednesday 10 June 2009

Romulus, My Father


Before I write anything about this particular movie, I'd like to describe the way vyaka and I watch&review these movies. We have compiled (and still continue to do) a list of movies which neither of us have seen but both are interested; then decide on a movie to watch (we take turns for the choice), then get a hold of a copy and arrange a date for the movie session.. The important point to note is we watch them seperately in our homes (busy lives and all :p); but start watching at the same time.. then after finishing it we call each other and talk about it. And that's what we did last night..

Unfortunately, this time I had actually more fun exchanging text messages with vyaka throughout the movie than watching it.. Well, Eric Bana and the child actor Kodi Smit-McPhee kinda made it watchable but still.. If we hadn't committed, if I'd started watching it on TV by myself for example, I don't think I would have finished this movie.. I kept talking (more like shouting) at the screen, trying to make sense of the characters' (read Christina's) behaviour.. The irony is, the movie is based on a biographical memoir (of Australian philosopher Raimond Gaita); so the events in the movie actually took place.. So knowing that fact, and still not being able to care for the story, got me really frustrated!

The cinematography, the background music (at times, sounded like traditional Anatolian tunes), the performances were all adequate.. but that's it.. The story wasn't engaging; I had sympathy for Romulus, and especially for Raimond, but not enough to be curious about what happens to them next.. Throughout the movie the feeling I had (I know I am repeating myself but this needs to be said) was frustration..

So my rating will be more for the production value, rather than entertainment value..

Gets a 5/10 from me..

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails